Thursday, July 12, 2012

Go For The Unexpected!


You may remember the gum machine lamp pictured above from this post.  We've most enjoyed the lamp because it spits out a sugary treat for only a nickel and offers up needed light for the room.  But, I must admit, I've often thought the brightly colored gum was a little bit of a stranger in my muted home.  I've been tossing around ideas in my head for a long time and I finally think I've landed on something that suits my style a little better.  I rather like and prefer the new look ~ a whole lot as a matter of fact. 


Who knew that these humble game pieces would take up residence inside of a gumball machine ~ of all things?  Scrabble letters have popped up almost everywhere in endless creative design ideas but quite possibly never as a stand in for gum in a gumball machine. 



I've been toying with the idea of changing it for awhile now ~ and mostly considered replacing the colorful gum with all white gum.  The only problem with that idea ~ I was going to have to buy an awful lot of gum to adequately fill the machine.  So, one day I was poking around my house ~ I eyed the Scrabble tiles and thought ~ "why not?"  It was an easy exchange ~ I merely dumped out the gum and added the Scrabble pieces.


The idea of a cleaner and different look was very appealing to me.  In addition, I would be able to enjoy the lamp in the sitting room without it distracting from the rather subdued design.


I also decided to replace the curvy traditional shade with its colorful trim ~ with a more modern linen drum shade. 


While I hope I don't catch flack for trading out the gum for said Scrabble letters, I must admit I prefer the game pieces and love their unexpectedness.  When designing your space, I encourage you to go for the unexpected!  That said, I hope you stop by Tattered Style again soon!  

2 comments :

  1. Hi Dana,
    I just found your blog. I love the cool and quirky ideas you come up with! Great thinking outside the box. Now I'll be looking for gumball machines! LOL
    I'm inviting you share with us at our linky party, we'd love to have you!
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patti ~ not sure how I missed this comment. I just noticed it today as I was looking back over past posts. I hope you've found a gumball machine by now. I would be most interested in linking up to one of your linky parties.

      :) Dana

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...