Monday, January 16, 2012

Mock Shadow Box DIY + Hope & Love


Ever have one of those days where you feel particularly in need of some hope and love?  These two tiny, four letter words wield so much weight and power ~ don't they?  Recently, I had one of those kind of days and I remembered a gift my friend, Sharon, from Bless Your Neighbor, gave me.  The gift was two silver, flattened spoons with the words "hope" and "love" stamped on their surfaces.  The spoons were intended to be used as spreaders but after a day like I had, I decided I wanted them displayed somewhere prominently in my house as a symbol of encouragement.  *Sharon found the spoons here but if you don't live in the area, you can also find them here

Segue to the DIY project.  I decided to make a mock shadow box for the spoons.  This project is super simple ~ here's all you need to complete this easy DIYer:

Picture Frames with Glass ~ I had a couple of old black 5 x 7 frames on hand.  If you don't have any spare frames laying around, I'm sure you can grab a couple for next to nothing at your local thrift store. 



I opted to use the cardboard backing of the frame as the matting background for the project (mainly because I liked the color and texture).  You could always add scrapbooking paper, newsprint, wallpaper, etc. underneath the glass ~ to suit whatever you might be showcasing. 


Silver Spoons ~ Or the item of your choice to display in your mock shadow box. 


Hot Glue Gun and Glue Sticks ~ I decided to adhere the spoons to the glass with hot glue.  If you want something more permanent you could always use E6000 or some other epoxy.  I personally like the hot glue because (knowing me) I may want to change them out someday.



I cleaned the glass and then applied a dab of hot glue on the back of each spoon at the top and bottom. Then I eyeballed the positioning of the spoon and pressed it into place.

 ~ Hope ~
 ~ Love ~

That's it ~ pretty easy, huh?  Here are my mock shadow boxes hanging close to the sink in the kitchen.  It's always nice to know you have hope and love hangin' around.  Hope you're feelin' the love today!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...